Trending [November 5, 2019 Local Algorithm Update] Unexplained big drops in GMB rankings

IMP

Our clients that have all the GMB best practices who ranked in maps for years have dropped out and not returned as of yet. Glad to have this forum to round table with others on this.

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
We had a few clients that were not badly impacted, and more that were significantly hurt. I hope that they "bounce back" like some others have reported. None of our clients saw any positive impact. We definitely are seeing more spammy GMBs surfacing now and playing whack-a-mole getting them knocked back down.

Tilak

Update: One of my client were dropped in maps ranking but not yet returned who ranked in maps for years.

Maxw555

Experiencing the same. Have a client who had been in the 3 pack for 3- 4 years. They are now down to the 9-10 spots. Also, last night it appeared to revert back to normal for about a half hour. After that half hour window they again were back down to 9-10 position. No clue what is going on. A lot of spam in top 3 now.

IMP

I have several that have always been in the map pack doing all the best practices and have fallen out and have not bounced back yet. Still monitoring. Seeing other businesses showing in maps with no reviews or any best practices still.

Here's another one for Painters where the results are quite far away from me.

For comparison, results for non-SAB businesses like dentists and accountants are still very close to me:

See how zoomed out the map is for painters and plumbers, and how zoomed in it is for dentists and accountants?

Yan Gilbert

Administrator
Screenshot of a SERP two weeks ago and yesterday. Same 3 listings showing up and map is the same zoom.

However in this case below, the newer result is pulling listings from further away, so it is possible proximity was affected. I'm thinking the map adjusts afterwards though.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
So far based on the hours I've poured over screenshots and ranking trackers, I'm becoming more convinced the main factors that got updated are related to relevance, not proximity. With Possum, almost every SERP got changed drastically based on proximity. I'm not seeing any of the same patterns here. I don't think this update is at-all similar to Possum. I'm still collecting more examples before I publish more. It's way too easy to jump to the wrong conclusions based on one or two scenarios.

I don't know. I've been crunching some numbers this morning for different clients, with varying results. In some cases, it seems clear that proximity became a lot less important:

But I'm not seeing the same pattern for all clients:

I guess when it comes to algorithm updates, 'The truth is rarely pure and never simple.'
Yes. It's all over the place. My quick look at a few SERPs is not at all conclusive. Just food for thought.

My HOPE is that it's category dependent. I hope that Google has stopped making proximity such a strong signal for SABs. Their physical location is not something the user cares about. They are just looking for the best painter, plumber, pest control technician, etc. Proximity should be dialed down for SABs and the results should be more based on relevance and prominence.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local University Guide

Google Product Exert