More threads by bruce@brucejone

Reaction score
I have heard the case for and against optimizing images before adding to GMB and wanted to share my findings.

I have done quite a bit of image optimization in the past because when I would download an image from a GMB listing and check it, the image would still contain all of the EXIF & GPS data. But that was then and this is now. Whether or not Google ignored that info or not is a different story.
Now when I look at GMB images I find that all of that data has been stripped out. It was still there a few months ago.
I used the Image Downloader Chrome extension. to grab these.

Some file names are still intact and others have been named to "download" or a date. Copyright and Author fields are still intact.

EXIF of an image I just downloaded from GMB today for reference.

gmb-exif-removed.JPG

Google strips out all exf data from photos when added to GMB. The user’s profiles are set to noindex too. I have seen studies where this principal was tested at great lengths and had zero impact on the rankings. I have never seen any data to support this as a ranking factor.

Yes and No

1. Woodward study shows some benefit in organic search from EXFil but I agree thats a different topic sort of organic search. BUT its kind of all interlinked indirectly surely?

2. Stripping out does not mean it was not used or indeed possibly is used although would seem a VERY strange way for Google to go around things

3. No follow does not mean no follow its just a guide and John Mueller this month said it ignored no follow in certain circumstance sand actually recommended no follow links as a means of discovery for nw sites. Again maybe he was just talking organic search but its kind of all connected

Basically we need someone to experiment on say 100 listings of theirs I guess

Also just to be sure are you talking just Exfil or all possible text attributes

ps for us the question is less relevant because we prepare a file with data filled images and use same database of pics for all platforms

pps seems likely to be a minor ranking factor anyway

We at Sterling Sky have run tests on GEO tagging photos. We saw no lasting effects. Sadly the folks that swear by are doing countless SEO tactics at the same time. They do the following:
Add keywords and geo-modifiers in the businesses
Post fake reviews with the keywords in the reviews
Create countless citations and backlinks
Create the free GMB website and Google posts

They don't run clean test. I am all for testing on 100 different listings where nothing else is done to the listing if that will convince you that it doesn't work.

I get where you are coming from but if I may give you two PHYSICAL ACTUAL counter tests. Admittedly indirect

1. famous Matthew Woodward test showing EXFIL absolutely has a small effect in organic search rankings using identical sites where the one with Exfil photo data ranked above other r variants without Exfil data

2. you mention GMB website - not sure exactly what you are referring to- BUT I can tell that Ahrefs shows it as providing a do follow backlink to your site if thats what you want to use it the GMB profile for.

I am basically in the it may have a small very small possible indirect effect via organic SEO

Posts I agree look really great but if they have any effect its indirect via engagement

ps posting fake reviews will work as long as you do not get caught BUT thats the problem if doing in bulk. I

pps I dont like black hat but I also think the purer than white hat extreme is also inefficient. I have ranked a site in a tough category for organic search by creating about 10 hard to create backlinks a week from contextually relevant apps, courses, podcast which I have made.

ppps BUT I do like your forum I posted a question about GMB profile ranking factors JUST for the 100 percent owner controlled attributes

I thought I'd chime in here. The testing I did (that Jason is referring to) was for map/local rankings. I've actually heard of several tests where people say photo optimization tricks (like geotags) impact organic ranking so I think that's very possible.

What I don't support is people using it as a strategy to sell their Local SEO tools by insinuating that it impacts ranking in the 3-pack.

seems likely to be a minor ranking factor anyway

I couldn't agree with that statement more ^^

If you're in a super uncompetitive area, I can see this possibly making a difference but for most of the types of clients we get, this isn't going to move the needle.

Hello Joy

I think we are in agreement its a question of language. AS IN

"The 3 pack has a surprisingly narrow range of DIRECT RANKING FACTORS and all these other "techniques" only have INDIRECT EFFECTS on the 3 pack via their 1. impact on organic search OR via 2. secondary GMB engagement type variables (ie more people viewing GMB photos as appearing in posts and then engaging). Is that right?

Whilst I have you ............the services section....compared to the Description section its only a MINOR direct ranking factor (ie if Description field is a 10 Services is a 1 or a 2 at most)? I say this because I am filing out several Services fields for clients and its not doing anything I can see but its only been a week! I would love to know your view

ps i dont mind filing out the services fields because I have to do it anyway and I find it helps me order my thoughts as I then move on to creating the RIGHT corresponding inner pages which my clients sites currently have all messed up .....I prefer to do it this way around.

Thank you for replying

I'd probably say filling out all areas of GMB is worthwhile but I see it more of a Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) thing. I don't anticipate rankings to change when spending the time to fill them out.

The things I'd say probably have the biggest impact on CRO would be Messaging, responding to reviews, Products and Posts.

Hi!
Not sure if this is the correct thread but it's regarding the metadata on the photos uploaded to GMB profiles (Hotels). We have seen that the photos we have uploaded to hotel profiles, which includes metadata, is showing on GMB photos and Google Travel photos.

Below are some examples. Is this a bug?

Screenshot_2020-06-02_at_13_20_34.png

Screenshot_2020-06-02_at_13_19_31.png

Screenshot_2020-06-02_at_13_19_22.png

We have been doing quite a bit of work lately with photos after reading your tests on the effects on geotagging photos. If we find anything significant we would have no problem sharing it.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom