More threads by spacetuna

spacetuna

Reaction score
My site ranks well in organic search but horribly in Google Maps. I have fully built out my GMB, I post regularly, and I have about 15 local citations. I was going to sign up for Bright Local to build citations for me but when I put in my info I noticed that it shows my address wrong in the Google Places API. On the API is has 203 Southeast 16th Street and everywhere on the web I have 203 SE 16th St. When I log into my GMB listing however it shows 203 SE 16th St. So my GMB site and the Google API do not match. Is this normal or could it be my problem?

That isn't an issue, each citation uses different abbreviations. Google is able to see the variations of each. I'd be curious to know the business in an attempt to troubleshoot the ranking issue. I doubt it's a NAP or citation issue.

Hi Keyserholiday,

Thanks, the business is: Mark Schoenfelt Photography

The other issues working against me is that my mobile site test speeds are coming back as very slow, the site is only about 9 months old, and I need more citations.

I need to point out that you are supposed to hide your address and that Google could suspend your listing. I strongly believe the website is the biggest issue. Fix the site speed. I would rewrite the meta titles and descriptions on all pages. There a lot of photographers in the area. Fixing those issues could be the difference between not ranking in the map pack.

Hi Keyserholiday,

I have a studio at my home, with a sign, and I will take walk-ins. I do not believe I am violating any listing rules because I've already shown visual proof to Google when they tried to suspend me and they rescinded it. I was also thinking that maybe this short suspension that I had for listing my address has somehow affected my rankings?

The top 3 results I get for Cape Coral photographer are listed as wedding photographer as their default category. I'd recommend making that your main category and having photographer as your default. I also recommend that you look at your competitors and report the ones using residential addresses or keyword-stuffing their business name. There is no penalty or demotion for having any suspension. Rankings tend to recover immediately to a few days. If you fight the listings in your area that are in violation of Google's TOS and you work on the technical issues of your website, you will be in a better position. You do need to get reviews on other platforms as well. I see some of your customers like to post the photos as part of your reviews, you should ask your clients to post those photos on Yelp. Yelp will prompt them to post a review. That does not violate Yelp's TOS.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I am trying to do everything right and it feels like I'm just spinning my wheels and the people who are doing nothing are beating me. There is a photographer with zero reviews and no website that is beating me for some searches lol.

No NAP issue and good advice above on ways to improve your site/rankings. I noticed Localeze was not currently publishing a listing for this business so I added your listing to our repository to help with your citations. You can update any of the primary information (NAP+ category) listed by suggesting an edit & going through phone verification.

Good luck.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom