More threads by SwitchBack

SwitchBack

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have been wondering why my phone has been silent in snowy winter...

Turns out, Somebody edited the business listing so it shows that I do not officially open until NEXT YEAR.

This explains everything .....

Obviously whomever did this has a Google account and the Individual can be traced through the name and IP address.

Definitely malicious intent. This act was designed to cause harm and financial loss. No different than an act of terror. I suspect it's probably from a competitor or his SEO representative in my line of work.

My question is: do I start this process with the GMB Support forum? Or can I send an escalation ticket directly to Google?

I would like to see if this action is prosecutable under the law.

I'm hoping @BenFisher or @JoyHawkins @Phil Rozek might have some input?

I'm sorry to tag you all... but I just discovered this an hour ago and I have not touched it or edited it because there must be an electronic fingerprint left inside the GMB editor function.
In other words, I'm not tampering with the forensic evidence.

I'm sure grateful for your advice and suggestions.

thank you.

IMG_20190116_105805.jpg

I will try an get the GMB profile. but the way I used to grab the link was incognito mode which gives you a clean URL address for public... I'll find a way and post it here.

Update for you on this, Google is very aware of this bug and addressing it as we speak.

For now just deny the edit, or change it back, Google is aware of this bug.

Thank you Ben.
My opinion? in the long term picture, someone should have to login and leave an "edit signature". Document why the edit happened and verify the action with a google account with a new separate email reply confirmation... then on the backside? Google then knows who is doing erroneous edits on a site and they can be blocked.
There is nothing to prevent them from doing this same thing next week.

I do appreciate your assistance.
Thanks Ben.

I had the same happen to at least one of my important listings. It's unbelievable that Google would allow an edit like this to be pushed to a listing that has been active for years. Further, the fact that we did not receive any email notifications.

It tanked our rankings for the day.

@BenFisher I'm assuming Google doesn't do anything like this, but it seems super easy to see each account that suggested these edits and disallow their future edits and/or penalize the listings in that account.

I had the same happen to at least one of my important listings. It's unbelievable that Google would allow an edit like this to be pushed to a listing that has been active for years. Further, the fact that we did not receive any email notifications.

It tanked our rankings for the day.

@BenFisher I'm assuming Google doesn't do anything like this, but it seems super easy to see each account that suggested these edits and disallow their future edits and/or penalize the listings in that account.

I agree @Dan Foland

A simple "verification response needed" sent to the gmail account would probably cut 90% of malicious intent.

Hopefully someone can throw a suggestion at Google Dev Dept.

You know how many spam listings we could have taken out of the SERPS using this. ;)
Can we turn it back on just for Product Experts? lol.

Looks like the bug is corrected now, I just tried an edit and 2020 no longer exists.

@Yan Gilbert
giphy.gif

I've never thought about it, but IMO it would be a great idea to give PE's more direct influence/capability over listings. Though, I also understand the conflict of interest issue.

I just discovered this happened to my own business's GMB listing and I have not received any notification from Google. Astonishing. It caused my business to disappear. I had an opening date from 2007 in place previous to the malicious edit. Fortunately, my business re-appeared seconds after reinstating the correct date.

1) Is there any setting in GMB that prevents public edits to a listing? I know it's kind of counter-intuitive, but where phone number, address, and other vital information couldn't be changed w/o listing owner's approval.

Asking, because I recently had a law firm client, who's competitor changed the phone number on their listing to their own! I called the number to identify who it was and they had the audacity to answer the phone with THEIR firm's name! I was able to get it changed back, but it's ridiculous how business owners must constantly monitor legitimate business listings in GMB, amidst the prolific spam.

2) I've had several clients who are SABs who've had their listings taken down. When we go into check the listing, someone (presumably a competitor) has added a wheelchair accessible attribute. Of course, we've never had wheelchair accessible selected, as the business owner does not serve the public at his place of business.

Has anyone had experience with this, and if so, how do you fix, without having to request reinstatement or reverification?

3) I have a question about the "approve all" edits feature in the upper right of GMB listing, when features have been suggested by public. Almost always these edits are inaccurate. What's the best way to deny/decline edits?

Lots of questions, I know, but this is a great, timely thread. I know lots of small businesses are being adversely impacted by some of the nefarious tactics noted by myself and others in this thread.

I will try an get the GMB profile. but the way I used to grab the link was incognito mode which gives you a clean URL address for public... I'll find a way and post it here.
This happen to me as well and my account has been suspended for 2 weeks. Each time it is reinstated, my competitor makes edits again and again my listing is taken down. Google is aware and trying to deal with it, but it's at a very slow pace.

1) Is there any setting in GMB that prevents public edits to a listing? I know it's kind of counter-intuitive, but where phone number, address, and other vital information couldn't be changed w/o listing owner's approval.

Asking, because I recently had a law firm client, who's competitor changed the phone number on their listing to their own! I called the number to identify who it was and they had the audacity to answer the phone with THEIR firm's name! I was able to get it changed back, but it's ridiculous how business owners must constantly monitor legitimate business listings in GMB, amidst the prolific spam.

2) I've had several clients who are SABs who've had their listings taken down. When we go into check the listing, someone (presumably a competitor) has added a wheelchair accessible attribute. Of course, we've never had wheelchair accessible selected, as the business owner does not serve the public at his place of business.

Has anyone had experience with this, and if so, how do you fix, without having to request reinstatement or reverification?

3) I have a question about the "approve all" edits feature in the upper right of GMB listing, when features have been suggested by public. Almost always these edits are inaccurate. What's the best way to deny/decline edits?

Lots of questions, I know, but this is a great, timely thread. I know lots of small businesses are being adversely impacted by some of the nefarious tactics noted by myself and others in this thread.
Megan, The same thing is happening to me. Would you mind sharing what action you took?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom