Trending [November 5, 2019 Local Algorithm Update] Unexplained big drops in GMB rankings

When the local update initially hit, 2 of my local companies saw a significant hit in their map pack visibility before it returned to normal after 2-3 days.

However, over the past 2-3 days, they have taken yet another hit to go back to where they were before the "Rebound." Anyone else seeing tremendous gains/losses in map results over the past 2-3 days?
Yes. Same thing happened to us. We had been at #1 for multiple competitive phrases for several years. Then we dropped to spots ranging from about 6-12 (then briefly not even visible in search for one or two phrases). Then we went back up to #1 or #2 for all phrases, for about one day. Then this past Monday evening we went back down to about the same drop -- and those now on the top 3 are the same as when we dropped the first time. So this is starting to feel permanent.

I read Joy's article about sitewide relevancy. It's hard to imagine a local site with more relevant content than ours, and we have a very good writer, experienced in the field, who develops the content. If relevancy is the issue, then Google isn't recognizing related subtopics.

Chaddow

It has been a mixed picture for me taking a multinational with locations in lots of different countries

The locations in Europe are seeing the fluctuations that everyone else is describing with drops in rankings followed by gains followed by a drop in the last few days

However my locations in Africa are yet to see a similar impact which makes me think this might be phased Bedlam

What do others think

WillSLV

Yes. Same thing happened to us. We had been at #1 for multiple competitive phrases for several years. Then we dropped to spots ranging from about 6-12 (then briefly not even visible in search for one or two phrases). Then we went back up to #1 or #2 for all phrases, for about one day. Then this past Monday evening we went back down to about the same drop -- and those now on the top 3 are the same as when we dropped the first time. So this is starting to feel permanent.

I read Joy's article about sitewide relevancy. It's hard to imagine a local site with more relevant content than ours, and we have a very good writer, experienced in the field, who develops the content. If relevancy is the issue, then Google isn't recognizing related subtopics.
All of this is exactly still happening on our end also. One day massive gains, next day massive drop.

All of this is exactly still happening on our end also. One day massive gains, next day massive drop.
So tonight's report: slight improvement to #3 in one of the four keyword phrases we have always closely tracked, on mobile. Remainder of searches on mobile still low. But, in an interesting twist, we have the same rankings when we check the laptop in our home office (low for three searches, in number 3 for one search, which we still consider low). But when we check the laptop in our living room, we are back to number one for all four search phrases. We have refreshed all of the above and nothing changes.

This is a super freaky update!

gabagoon

Prepare for another roller coaster is all I am going to say. This one won't be as big as the first update you felt, but it's still going to get a lot of people talking again.

kurtztay123

What's everyone seeing? A site of mine that was #1 in map packs for years now fell off for 3 days, bounced back, and has fallen off again past 3 days. Not sure what the issue is, the profile is completely 100% accurate, regular posts, photo uploads, accurate info, plenty of reviews, etc. Not sure how this could not be what Google wants?

What is everyone else seeing and what software is everyone using to track map location rankings? I am using SEMRush below, using the map pack filter, and my company is the green line.

What's everyone seeing? A site of mine that was #1 in map packs for years now fell off for 3 days, bounced back, and has fallen off again past 3 days. Not sure what the issue is, the profile is completely 100% accurate, regular posts, photo uploads, accurate info, plenty of reviews, etc. Not sure how this could not be what Google wants?

What is everyone else seeing and what software is everyone using to track map location rankings? I am using SEMRush below, using the map pack filter, and my company is the green line.

We are the same. But we have seen movement in the top 3 over the last 24 hours, and we moved up for a couple of searches (back into the three pack for 2 of the 4 searches we track most closely, but not at #1 when we were before, and not in the three pack for the two phrases that matter the most to us).

But we are hoping that some movement means that the current results aren't final.

We did see another major competitor drop completely out of the three pack (overnight) down to #20 or so. They have been doing everything right for years.

Aimee Jurenka

I heard that most businesses are back to normal. Does anyone know whether that is true?
Not me. I'm in the senior living industry and we tanked on the all three major fluctuation dates. The number one listing in Dallas that replaced our listing is a spam listing for "Dallas Assisted Living" that is attached to a public library for the website and the phone number. Makes zero sense to me.

Yep, seeing changes here too. This is one that originally jumped up from position 9 to position 2. Google is now not showing local results at all for this keyword so the client is showing as 51+ position. This is using BrightLocal.

We saw a 3 pack disappear too, for a competitive but less volume search phrase.

MarianoF

I am up and down every 3 days while my competitors are more stable. I am the green line

kurtztay123

I am up and down every 3 days while my competitors are more stable. I am the green line
This is nearly exactly what I'm seeing, 2-3 day dips, followed by a return to normal for day or two, then another 2-3 day dip. Really only for local map rankings though, organic holding strong.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Jason Parks sent me this on Twitter. It's a really interesting theory. Are you guys seeing this trend where the listing in the 1st position isn't changing but positions 2-3 are?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local University Guide

Google Product Exert