More threads by Ryan Steinolfson

Reaction score
When it comes to optimizing a Google My Business Page what are your top 5 suggestions of things to do on a monthly basis?
For example:
  1. Get 3-5 reviews per month?
  2. Update the Service Tab?
  3. Add zip codes to the Service Areas?
  4. Add 5 photos and/or videos a month. (Do you suggest they be geotagged?)
  5. Post weekly?
Thank you very much for your feedback.
Crystal :)

If you are talking about on-page optimization, then I would just focus on photos & reviews (and the occasional post or two).
If you are talking about off-page optimization, there is a ton of work that you can do. (citations, directory submissions, link building, etc.)

If you are talking about on-page optimization, then I would just focus on photos & reviews (and the occasional post or two).
If you are talking about off-page optimization, there is a ton of work that you can do. (citations, directory submissions, link building, etc.)

@razorclicks thank you for your feedback. Do you recommend geotagging the photos as well?

Depending on the vertical you'll need to dedicate some time to "spam fighting". Develop a process to 1)Identify competitors who break GMB guidelines 2)Track them in a spreadsheet 3)Report them via the Redressal Form.

When it comes to optimizing a Google My Business Page what are your top 5 suggestions of things to do on a monthly basis?
For example:
  1. Get 3-5 reviews per month?
  2. Update the Service Tab?
  3. Add zip codes to the Service Areas?
  4. Add 5 photos and/or videos a month. (Do you suggest they be geotagged?)
  5. Post weekly?
Thank you very much for your feedback.
Crystal :)

I'd remove 2 and 3. These are one-time tasks, not monthly. There honestly isn't a ton to do monthly when it comes to GMB other than what Colan mentioned. The biggest impact to local rankings is going to come from backlinks and onsite optimization changes.

No, I don't think that really does anything. Whatever can be easily manipulated doesn't count in Google's ranking formula.

@razorclicks this is great news!!! Thank you. I've been doing just about everything every blog I've ever read about for GMB suggestions and I kept thinking there's got to be a simple way of doing this. Thank you! :)

Depending on the vertical you'll need to dedicate some time to "spam fighting". Develop a process to 1)Identify competitors who break GMB guidelines 2)Track them in a spreadsheet 3)Report them via the Redressal Form.
@Colan Nielsen Yes!! Spam fighting and great idea with putting a spreadsheet together to keep better track of it. I've been doing just about everything every blog I've ever read about for GMB suggestions and I kept thinking there's got to be a simple way of doing this. Thank you! :)

I'd remove 2 and 3. These are one-time tasks, not monthly. There honestly isn't a ton to do monthly when it comes to GMB other than what Colan mentioned. The biggest impact to local rankings is going to come from backlinks and onsite optimization changes.
Thank you for your feedback @JoyHawkins we've been working on backlinks and onsite optimization and it is so great to read this. I've been doing just about everything every blog I've ever read about for GMB suggestions and I kept thinking there's got to be a simple way of doing this. Thank you! :)

Just make sure that you're also replying to reviews (positive or negative) and answering FAQs as they come in.
@Justin Mosebach excellent point. Responding to reviews is just as important. The FAQs section has become quite popular as well. Thank you very much for your feedback, Jusin. From the responses I have discovered that I'm overdoing it: Geotagging photos and videos on a weekly basis, making sure to post once a week, updating services if they need to be updated, putting zip codes into the service area ... When I can quickly and easily accomplish the same thing by taking a step back.

Thank you!

One time task - add a set of questions with authoritative answers and upvote them

Passive On-going - monitor Q & A

If you are adding photos to Posts they are already being added to your Photos section. So you can limit your additional photo upload activities to that if you prefer. The goal there is to have compelling current images that convert not to meet some arbitrary bench mark.

Geotagging images is already done via any cell phone that takes the image. Not that I think adding it to an image for which it is missing does anything, it doesn’t. But it’s already there so you can sleep at night.

@razorclicks thank you for your feedback. Do you recommend geotagging the photos as well?

Hi, i make a test uploading two photos at the same time. One with Geotag or metadescription, and another without. After a week the views of each photos was WAY different. The picture with geo tag has more than a thousand of views, and the one with our it only have few views.

Can you please share the two photos with exif headers intact?

Hi, im sorry but im not allow to share this information due to the confidentiality.
Im attaching 2 files i fill all of the information. And for the Geo tag i use as well this page: Geotag Photos Online

Sory i could not share more information of the actual test that i made. But just wanted to share that we did found a differences using or not using meta description.

Captura de pantalla 2019-05-02 a las 3.15.25 p.m..png

Captura de pantalla 2019-05-02 a las 3.14.49 p.m..png

A reader reached out to me and pointed out that I may have overstated the idea above that images are auto posted from Posts.

They appear to do that in restaurants but I am not seeing in other retail categories. I am not sure if there are categories beyond restaurants where it happens.

See
The Spot 2 Be Restaurant
840 S Union St, Olean, NY 14760
(716) 379-8172

The Spot 2 Be Restaurant - Google Search

This is my new 9-5 job ;)

Is there a process posted somewhere you would suggest for #1?

Thanks in advance!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom