More threads by Siva

Siva

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I started working with a client and he is a certified nurse and offering bioidentical hormone replacement therapy.

When I search on Google I see 3 different category in maps called Doctor, Men's Health Physician and Medical Clinic in the same ranking order.

How I can choose the right business category?

Thanks in advance
Siva

Solution
I would do a search for the top keywords you want the listing to show up for and see what primary category the listings that show up at the top use. I would then use a tool to see the secondary categories they use and also add those. I use the Pleper extension to see this https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/pleper-local-seo-tools/cpdkchkkmcpnfgbpjjgfhcbcaceeandd

Anecdotally I typically find "Doctor" to be a too generic for most of the healthcare listings I work on, so I would likely pick one of the others you mention. The primary category should be as specific as possible to the services your client offers.
I would do a search for the top keywords you want the listing to show up for and see what primary category the listings that show up at the top use. I would then use a tool to see the secondary categories they use and also add those. I use the Pleper extension to see this https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/pleper-local-seo-tools/cpdkchkkmcpnfgbpjjgfhcbcaceeandd

Anecdotally I typically find "Doctor" to be a too generic for most of the healthcare listings I work on, so I would likely pick one of the others you mention. The primary category should be as specific as possible to the services your client offers.

Solution
I agree it's important to check categories for a range of keywords. You might find out about categories you didn't even know about because they use different words than you do. It was a surprise for us two years ago when we realized we'd been using the wrong categories for medical spas in french. The industry term in quebec is "médico-esthétique", and "spa" is just not a standard term for the beauty industry here (the category is translated literally).

Thanks a ton. I got your point

Can I suggest using the Category Finder tool by GMB Everywhere for this. You can download the chrome extension for this.

With this tool you can select a category and it will find the related category and other useful information. See screenshot below. The marked sections are:

1 - It shows the related category for a category. This means that you select one category and we show related ones. You can select a related one and then it shows more related ones.
2 - It shows the total worldwide google search for the term.
3 - Click on 'Compare on Google Trends' to compare these terms on Google Trends at your specific location.

If possible try to get all the 9 secondary category filled up as there is a high correlation with a category name with ranking for that term.

Hope this was helpful.

1710758450015.jpg

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom